This recipe is so incredibly easy yet such a flavor enhancer for all parmesan-prone dishes – I love it!
I am not vegan but I try to eat increasingly vegan. Although I LOVE real parmesan, I don’t need on a daily basis.
Recipe notes & tips
- STORAGE – The vegan parmesan can be stored outside the fridge but I recommend storing it where you usually have your parmesan so you get the reflex of using the vegan one instead.
- WHAT’S NUTRITIONAL YEAST? Nutritional yeast is dehydrated deactivated yeast. It is a particularly great ingredient in vegan cooking thanks to its taste that resembles cheese. It is not natural in vitamin B12 but it’s often added to it wich
- WHERE TO GET NUTRITIONAL YEAST? In conventional stores, you can find nutritional yeast in tiny jars in the spice aisle that are quite expensive, but if you look around at the “special foods” aisle (gluten-free, vegan…) I’ve seen it in bigger bags for a better price. I’ve seen nutritional yeast in most health st
- CAN I USE SOMETHING ELSE THAN SESAME SEEDS? Yes! I’ve tried this recipe with cashews which were great in taste but as it’s more expensive, I like to stick with sesame seeds. I’ve tried with other nuts (walnut and almond I believe) but the taste was too strong.
- GARLIC POWDER – Many vegan cheese recipes suggest adding garlic powder. I think it’s delicious with garlic powder but the taste moves to far away from “cheese” in my opinion.
1/2 cup white sesame seeds
4 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic salt (optional)
- Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor for 30 seconds, or until the mix has reached a thinly grated consistency.
- Store for multiple weeks where you usually store your parmesan.