I’ve been working on making a good apple crumble recipe for a while and I think I finally nailed it!
I love a good apple crumble because it is such a great dish to use up soggy, wrinkly, or bruised apples. Let’s not waste imperfect fruit guys!
- VEGAN – This crumble is very easily made vegan by simply replacing regular butter with vegan butter. Check out my product review post about different vegan butters here.
- APPLE PEEL – Don’t be afraid of apple peels! They’re full of nutrition and delicious so keep it on.
- APPLE CORES – I’m trying to make apple scrap vinegar with the leftover cores for the first time. I’ll let you know how it goes in a few weeks. If you’re not feeling up to it, you can also compost the cores or try making apple core tea!
- OTHER FRUIT – This recipe is great to use up any other unattractive, leftover, frozen or soggy fruit. I usually throw in the orange pulp that I freeze after I make orange juice.
Apple crumble for soggy & bruised apples
This recipe is for a small crumble. My dish is 12 x 18 cm.
- Crumble topping
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup rolled oats
1/2 cup white sugar
100g butter (vegan or regular)
3 apples, cored and diced
1/4 cup water
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Mix the flour, sugar, and oats with your hands to make the crumble topping. Mix until you obtain an even sandy texture.
- Place the diced apples in the dish (12 x 18 cm) with the water. Then spread the crumble topping evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the crumble starts to become dark golden.